ABOUT LGJWC

The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. GFWC clubs and clubwomen are the fabric that binds not only the Federation, but the communities in which they live and work.

2015 – 2016 Executive Board:

Tiffany Dotti
President

Michelle Clary
First Vice-President

CiCi Carroll
Second Vice-President

Linsey Carroll
Treasurer

Wendy Grimm
Secretary

Holly Watts
Parliamentarian

The LGJWC was formed in 2013 as a way to serve the needs of the outlying rural community surrounding the LKG area. These areas include but are not limited too Brunswick, Greensville, Mecklenburg, Warren, and Halifax Counties. The goal is to bring together the volunteer resources to fulfill the community service needs in the area. We welcome all ideas of projects and welcome members of the area, whether full or part time in the LKG and surrounding community areas. We are a part of The General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC), one of the world’s oldest and largest women’s volunteer service organization, dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. With more than 100,000 members in affiliated clubs in every state and more than a dozen countries, GFWC members work in their own communities to support the arts, preserve natural resources, advance education, promote healthy lifestyles, encourage civic involvement, and work toward world peace and understanding.

We meet the second Thursday of each month at the Lake Gaston Volunteer Fire Department in Bracey, VA.

GFWC History

Founded in 1890, GFWC’s roots can be traced back to 1868 when Jane Cunningham Croly, a professional journalist, attempted to attend a dinner at an all-male press club honoring British novelist Charles Dickens. Croly was denied admittance based upon her gender, and in response, formed a woman’s club—Sorosis. In celebration of Sorosis’ 21st anniversary in 1889, Jane Croly invited women’s clubs throughout the United States to pursue the cause of federation by attending a convention in New York City. On April 24, 1890, 63 clubs officially formed the General Federation of Women’s Club by ratifying the GFWC constitution.



OUR AWARDS


​GFWC Southside District:

​Director of Junior Clubs Award

Education, Best Single Project – Small Club

Fundraising and Development,
Best Overall – Small Club

GFWC Virginia:

​Education Special Award – Small Club

Honor Society Award